Included on this page are highlights from our policies and procedures. The Dater Montessori Student Handbook includes more detail on each of these items.
As a reminder, our hours are:
- School Hours: 9:15 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
- Office Hours: 9:15 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Students that arrive at school after 9:15 a.m. must report to the office for a tardy slip. Parents of students that are consistently late to school will be held accountable for their child's attendance. Our school social worker will investigate excessive tardiness or absenteeism as defined by state and local laws as well as school district policies for attendance.
If your child is going to be absent from school for any reason, parents must call the attendance line (513) 363-0923 and report the absence by 10:00 a.m. If we do not receive a call the day of the absence, we will call your home to verify the absence. This policy is for your child's safety. Please help us minimize unnecessary phone calls by letting us know of absences. Chronic absenteeism will be investigated by the school social worker at the discretion of the principal. Parents that fail to improve a child's poor attendance may be sited to court and a judge will assign corrective measures. Any child who is absent from school is not permitted to attend any afterschool event such as a dance, try-out, or enrichment class.
To report an absent child, call the school office or email us using this Absence Reporting Form.
Student behavior that distracts bus drivers is a hazard to the vehicle's safe operation, and jeopardizes the safety and welfare of all passengers. Misbehavior while on a yellow school bus or a Metro bus can result in disciplinary action for the student or the suspension of transportation service for the student. Read more about our requirements for student behavior on buses.
Cell Phone Policy
Cell phones and electronics devices are not necessary for school. Children are only allowed to have out electronic devises during morning arrival in the auditorium. Children bring devises at their own risk. All devises must be turned off and put in their book bag at the first bell. All devises seen after 9:15 a.m. will be taken from the student. Parents or guardians will be asked to retrieve electronic devises at their earliest convenience.
Review CPS' Code of Conduct for disciplinary procedures.
Students at Dater Montessori are expected to dress in a manner that is not distracting to the learning process. We ask that all parents review the following guidelines with their children and ensure that they come to school properly dressed.
- Hats, bandannas, kerchiefs or other headgear is not to be worn in the building.
- Spaghetti straps, tube top or any shirts that expose the midriff area are not allowed.
- Shorts that are an appropriate length (not to be shorter than half of the distance from upper leg and knees) can be worn throughout the school year.
- Pants must be held up with a belt. Undergarments should not be showing.
- Dyed hair, excessive jewelry, tattoos or other items that are distracting to learning are prohibited.
- Make up is not to be worn to school.
- Clothing with profanity or violent messages is prohibited.
- Shoes should be comfortable and enable the student to walk safely about the school grounds.
- Flip flops are a safety issue. Flip flops and heelies are prohibited.
Gator Fist Bump Stickers
These are 2 great acknowledgements students can receive for leadership skills:
- A Gator fist bump sticker is given to a student who is caught modeling the Dater Expectations.
- Administration reads the names of students who earn the Dater Gator Track Slip (description of exemplary behavior or deed) over the intercom every Wednesday and Friday at the end of the school day.
Each family with children in the Cincinnati Public Schools is asked to pay an instructional fee to help cover consumable classroom materials. The fee varies based on income, the number of children in school, and grade levels. Parents will receive a letter explaining this policy during the first week of school.
All fees must be paid in cash or with a money order. Sorry, but we cannot accept checks. Please send any money in an envelope marked with your child's name, room number and the purpose of the payment. Children will be given a receipt.
Fines are charged when students lose or damage any library or textbook that is assigned to them. The amount varies according to the original cost of the book, the condition, age and the extent to the damage. Student progress reports will be withheld for the nonpayment of instructional fees and book fines at the end of the fourth quarter. Fees that accumulate over years will continue to be charged to students. Records will not be released until fees are paid in full.
Snow Days and School Delays
Snow days and school delays are announced on our website, local TV and radio stations, CPS' mobile app, and through automated phone calls. Assume school is open unless you hear otherwise. Learn more about CPS' severe weather and emergency closing procedures.
The Dater Montessori Student Handbook details our policies and procedures.
Visiting During School Hours
We welcome visits from parents and guardians. However, to protect student safety, all visitors must sign in at the main office and wear a visitor's badge. Parents/guardians who would like a conference with their child's teacher must schedule an appointment with the teacher.