Volunteers are Welcome!
We love our volunteers! From giving their time in the classroom to planning and coordinating special events to everything in between, our volunteers help make our schools a richer, stronger learning environment. Interested in learning more about how you can make a measurable difference in the lives of our students? Contact the school.
In the Classroom
It is most important that you talk directly with your child's teacher about volunteering in the classroom. Some possible options for volunteering include: chaperoning field trips, giving spelling or math tests, listening to children read, reading to children, giving timed reading tests, preparing classroom materials, helping with classroom parties, putting together Tuesday folders, sharing a skill with the children. The opportunities are endless! Each family is required to volunteer at least 10 hours a quarter. A badge is required for anyone who volunteers with any activity at all CPS schools.
When you come to school remember to wear your badge to have access to the classroom. If you forget your badge you will need to provide your driver’s license for the Lobby Guard. The Lobby Guard will process a one day badge.
Dater Montessori Athletic Association (DMAA)
This organization provides extracurricular athletic opportunities. It organizes basketball, soccer and baseball teams. It is always looking for help! It needs parents to coach, coordinate and volunteer. Becoming a part of the DMAA is a great way for working parents to get involved, as practices and games are scheduled for evenings and weekends. There are no regular meetings. For more info please contact the school office.
Dater Montessori Nature Center
The award-winning Dater Montessori Nature Center is an outdoor education center for our students, families and the at-large community which includes vegetable gardening, an arboretum and orchard, and a Meadow Maze of Ohio Native wildflowers and grasses. Classrooms will be enjoying activities the first Wednesday of the month, please dress your child for outdoor gardening activities. Extracurricular include Summer Camp.
Collaboration and support for the Dater Montessori Nature Center come from many area agencies including; Imago Earth Center, Civic Garden Center, Kiwanis, Keep Cincinnati Beautiful and the Greater Cincinnati Foundation. The Dater Nature Center welcomes parents, grandparents, and community members. Please visit any time on the north (Queen City Ave.) side of the building. Contact Susan VonderHaar to join our email list.
Friends of Dater Montessori (FODM)
This is an Ohio nonprofit organization with the responsibility to raise funds for the school. Portions of the proceeds go to teachers and teacher teams for classroom supplies, special programs (ie: COSI on Wheels) and to the PTN for special events.
In an effort to avoid door to door sales, FOD strives to generate revenue without a lot of hassle and headache. Below are the current fundraisers and a brief description of each. Please look for more in-depth information in your Tuesday folders once the school year has started.
- GL Scrip Program — purchase select gift cards through FOD and the school receives a portion of the proceeds.
- Kroger Rewards Program — Buy your groceries at Kroger? Purchase a reloadable $20 gift card through FOD and the school receives 4% on every $5,000.00 (re)loaded and spent.
Parent Teacher Network (PTN)
The Network's mission is to be the avenue for all those in the Dater Community to find a way to share their own interests and talents in service to the Dater students, their school, and their communities. The Network belongs to all of us. If you have ideas, talent or thoughts you would like to share, please contact Jessica Ritsch as she is PTN president.
PTN Committees are:
- Enrichment Programs — These are classes that you can select for your child to participate in after school for a fee. Last year we provided the opportunity for the students to take karate, acting, gymnastics, art, and more.
- Events Coordinator — Our events coordinator organizes the quarterly community meetings and assists with other PTN community events.
- Room Parent Support Team — This group assists room parents as they manage their room's involvement in the Harvest Moon Festival, the Unity Dinner and Teacher Appreciation Week.
- Volunteer Coordination — It is our goal to help every family find its place to serve the greater good at Dater Montessori. Our volunteer coordinator collects and keeps data and helps our volunteers find a place to participate comfortably.
- Welcome Committee — This group provides outreach to new families and the greater community.