After-school programs and extracurricular activities provide a richer environment to help students learn and grow. At Dater Montessori, students have access to a variety of programs and activities to explore their interests.
After School Enrichment has three sessions that run through the school year. Depending on the class the session could run for 6 to 8 weeks. There are various activities that possibly will interest every child.
- BLINK Parade Art: Glow Gators! This class will consist of two, two-week workshops to create festival decorations for the 2019 BLINK Parade. Decorations will include paper mache small pole lanterns and a larger Glow Gator Pole Puppet for multiple older students to hold day of the parade. Students and an accompanying guardian will plan on meeting up with the group at the BLINK Parade on Thursday, October 10. More information about where and when we will meet up will be announced as soon as we know. An instructional hand-out for making lanterns will be available to the students who want to participate but cannot make the class. We will also be encouraging students to decorate an older Dater Gator shirt for the event with Glow-in-the-Dark Paint. All students who participate MUST be accompanied by a guardian the evening of the 2019 Blink Parade, October 10!
- Fun and Creative Art: This class will consist of art projects to stimulate creativity and imagination in girls and boys. Classes will include painting, woodwork, jewelry making, street art and a Halloween extravaganza.
- Karate: This class will focus on character, fitness, fun activities and learning karate skills to earn belts. Students will enjoy parties, awards, fun activities, foam sword matches, sports karate training, both staff training and focus training. All training uses positive motivational methods. Master Terrell Davis has taught at Dater for 18 years.
- Korean Culture & Foreign Language: Curriculum: numbers, greetings, animals, home/family, colors, days of week/months, seasons, weather, body parts, school/playground, Korean songs/games, Korean Alphabet "Han Gul 한글", Korean Culture. The 4-6th graders of Dater, who enroll in the Korean after-school program, can continue to take Korean class at James N. Gamble High School, which provides Korean Class from Grade 7 to 12.
- Mixed Media Art Journaling: An art journal is a journal in which you combine art and words to express yourself. Teacher Juanita Johnson invites students in grades 3-6 to learn and incorporate their knowledge of character strengths using a reflective & intuitive art journaling process. In this class, students will create unique and beautiful art using a variety of mediums (acrylic paint, watercolor, modeling paste, highly pigmented micro-powders, stamps, stencils etc.) and super fun techniques.
- Spanish Fiesta: Join us for a Fiesta! We will be playing games, singing songs and reading stories in Spanish. Children will learn/practice numbers, colors, greetings, animals and phrases in Spanish.
- Story Art—Connecting Literature and Art: This is an art class for young children that will connect literature and art. Each class a story will be read to introduce a new art project related to the theme of the book. We will use a variety of mixed mediums to create art each week including watercolors, paint, oil pastels, chalk, paper mosaics and mixed media collage materials.
- Yoga & Mindfulness: Come join our Yoga & Mindfulness Club as we engage in fun yoga poses, cultivate a deeper connection with ourselves, make new friends and manage stress outside the classroom, while enhancing creative thinking, mindfulness, self-esteem & conscious leadership. Tiffany West, E-RYT 200, a certified yoga teacher and trainer. She completed her Children's Yoga teacher training, RCYT at MIRADOR Yoga & Creativity School. Currently in trainings for E-RYT 500 and Trauma Sensitive Yoga. She was first introduced to Yoga as a young child and has been practicing Yoga and Meditation for more than 15 years.
Sign-ups occur on Wednesday evenings from 4:30 - 6:30 p.m. Information on the classes being offered will come home in the Tuesday folder before sign-up night.
- After-School Enrichment Program Forms
Sign-up nights for the 2019-20 school year are: